ANCC Certification for PHNs
Advanced Public Health Nursing – Renewing Previous Certification Obtained through Examination
The ANCC Advanced Public Health Nursing certification examination is retired. If you hold this certification through examination, you may continue to use your credential (APHN-BC). The credential may be renewed if professional development and practice hour requirements are met.
New applicants may apply for initial Advanced Public Health Nursing certification through portfolio.
Advanced Public Health Nurse Portfolio Process
The certification exam is discontinued, but you can still become certified by a portfolio process. ANCC recently reported that several public health nurses have successfully used the Portfolio Process for APHN-BC certification.
On the left side of the page there are links to:
- The portfolio content outline
- Certification through portfolio FAQ
- Portfolio preparation tips
You can still maintain your certification through the recertification process; however, taking the examination is no longer an option.
Some additional FAQs:
- You will need to accrue 2000 practice hours post-MSN to apply for certification using the Portfolio Process.
- Public Health Nursing (PHN) faculty can use clinical supervision activities as practice time if you are working with students in clinical settings. You would not be able to count didactic lecture time.
- PHN faculty or practitioners can use community- or population-focused participatory research activities as practice hours.
- PHN faculty or practitioners may use volunteer community- or population-focused activities as practice hours.